Detailed profiles of regions, appellations and grape varieties
Wines of Bordeaux: About this Guide
Wine guides for the ultra curious, Approach Guides take an in depth look at a wine region’s grapes, appellations, and vintages to help you discover wines that meet your preferences.The purpose of this guide is to profile the unique aspects of Bordeaux’s appellations and grape varieties; this guide does not profile specific producers or rate individual wines.
Located in southwest France and pierced through its center by the Gironde river, Bordeaux is probably France’s, if the world’s, most famous wine-producing region. This Approach Guide is designed as a quick-reference resource for wine enthusiasts seeking to understand what makes Bordeaux’s wines unique and make informed choices.
What’s in this guidebook
- Grape varieties. We describe the primary red and white grape varieties in Bordeaux’s famous blends and where they reach their highest expressions.
- Vintage ratings. We offer a straightforward vintage ratings table, which affords high-level insight into the best and most challenging years for wine production in Bordeaux.
- A Bordeaux wine label. We explain what to look for on a Bordeaux wine label and what it tells you about what’s in the bottle. In doing so, we provide background on Bordeaux’s appellation system and its producer classifications.
- Map and appellation profiles. Leveraging our map of the region, we provide detailed profiles of each of Bordeaux’s appellations. For each appellation, this guide describes the prevailing terroir, the types of wine produced, and what makes them distinctive.
- Recommendations. We mark our favorite appellations with asterisks (*) — our selections have a record for providing quality, consistency, and good values.
How to Use This Guidebook
Red Grape Varieties
White Grape Varieties
Appellations and the Classification System
Map of Bordeaux
Barsac AOC *
Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur AOCs
Bordeaux Haut-Benauge AOC
Côtes de Bourg and Bourg AOCs
Cérons AOC *
Côtes de Blaye and Blaye Bordeaux AOCs
Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux AOC
Côtes de Castillon Bordeaux AOC
Côtes de Francs Bordeaux AOC *
Côtes de Bordeaux St. Macaire AOC
Crémant de Bordeaux AOC
Entre-Deux-Mers Upper Benauge AOC
Fronsac and Canon-Fronsac AOCs *
* Graves AOC
Graves de Vayres AOC
Haut-Médoc AOC *
Lalande de Pomerol AOC *
Montagne-Saint-Émilion AOC *
* Moulis AOC
Pauillac * AOC
Pessac-Leognan AOC *
* Pomerol AOC
Premières Côtes de Bordeaux AOC
Saint Emilion AOC *
St. Estèphe AOC
Saint-Julien AOC *
Sauternes AOC *
About Approach Guides
- Format: ebook (.mobi for Kindle; .epub for all other devices)
- ISBN: 9781936614417
- Approximate pages: 118
- Published: 2015
- Version number: 1.0