Richly detailed with powerful images
Painted onto the walls of monastic dining rooms in the 14th-16th centuries, Florence’s Last Supper frescoes were designed to inspire contemplation on the Christian faith’s greatest mysteries. Still well preserved and quickly toured on any visit to the city, they hold much of their original magic. They are yours to uncover.
What’s in this guidebook
- A tour that goes deeper. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we provide a detailed tour of nine of Florence’s most important Last Supper frescoes executed over a 250-year period by artists Gaddi, Orcagna, Ghirlandaio, Castagno, Perugino, Franciabigio, Sarto and Allori. The tour walks you through the highlights, aided by high-resolution images and a discussion that ties it all together.
- The influence of Leonardo’s Last Supper. We also profile Leonardo da Vinci’s iconic Last Supper fresco in Milan (1496-1498), pointing out how its innovations went on to shape later Florentine representations. Since Leonardo’s work occurs roughly at the midpoint of our timeline of reference, we can assess frescoes before and after its completion, clearly discerning its impact.
- Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook offers logistical advice and provides links to online resources. Plus, we provide our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
- Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
Introduction to Last Supper Frescoes
The Impact of Leonardo
A Review of the Fresco
Stylistic Impact on Florence Versions
Last Supper Fresco Tour
- Santa Croce by Gaddi *
- Santo Spirito by Orcagna
Stylistic Break: Gothic to Renaissance
- Sant’Apollonia by Castagno *
- Ognissanti by Ghirlandaio *
- San Marco by Ghirlandaio
- Fuligno Conservatory by Perugino *
Stylistic Break: Leonardo’s Last Supper
- Convento della Calza by Franciabigio
- San Salvi by Sarto *
- Santa Maria del Carmine by Allori
Continuing Travel in Italy
Where to Stay, Eat and Shop
About Approach Guides
- Format: ebook (.mobi for Kindle; .epub for all other devices)
- ISBN: 9781936614141
- Approximate pages: 61
- Published: 2014
- Version number: 1.2