Richly detailed with powerful images
The Romanesque churches of Puglia (Apulia) are a highlight of any visit to South Italy. These churches were constructed during a Crusade-inspired boom period under the auspices of the Normans who unified control of the area from 1031 to 1194. They are yours to discover.
What’s in this guidebook
- Architecture review. Puglia’s Romanesque architectural style uniquely blends elements of the Eastern and Western architectural traditions. To get at its unique qualities, this guidebook begins by providing a thorough review of the classic Italian Romanesque architectural style that prevailed through much of the mainland. It then lays out the unique characteristics that the style assumes in the churches of Puglia, as it was infused with the region’s historical Byzantine (Eastern Orthodox) and Saracen (Islamic) building architectural traditions. To make things come alive, we have packed our review with high-resolution images.
- Tour of the highlights. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we tour the most iconic Romanesque city churches in Puglia: Bari, Bitonto, Manfredonia, Molfetta, Ruvo di Puglia, Trani and Troia. For each, we reveal its most important architectural and decorative features and provide a discussion that ties it all together.
- Castel del Monte. And, as an extra, this guidebook includes a comprehensive profile of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II’s masterful Castel del Monte, which is easily reached and makes for an exciting addition to this church tour.
- Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook supplies logistical advice, maps and links to online resources. Plus, we give our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
- Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
The Italian Romanesque
The Puglian Romanesque: New Twists
Romanesque Church Tour
- Bari : Basilica di San Nicola
- Bitonto : Duomo
- Manfredonia : S. Maria Maggiore di Siponto
- Molfetta : Duomo Vecchio
- Ruvo di Puglia : Duomo
- Trani : Chiesa di Ognissanti
- Trani : Duomo
- Troia : Duomo
- Extra: Castel del Monte
Continuing Travel in Italy
Eat Slow Food
About Approach Guides
- Format: ebook (.mobi for Kindle; .epub for all other devices)
- ISBN: 9781936614196
- Approximate pages: 48
- Published: 2012
- Version number: 1.1